Valspar Sketches for 29 Faces Days 5-7 and Paper Swapping

September 7, 2013

Filed in: Uncategorized

#SimpleTips

Woooohooooo! I love a great paper swap because checking the mail is like Christmas Morning all over again. My new artist friend, Susan Libertiny, swapped hand painted papers with me and I am swooning over all the gorgeousness she sent my way. Can….not….WAIT to turn these into a
painting!

Visited my local Lowes for some stuff and have simply fallen in love with their 8 oz samples that they mix for you while you wait. These paints are satin, offer fabulous coverage, and once dried, make for a beautiful substrate to write on using various inks and markers. They are quickly becoming my favorite art journal paint because of their price too, $3 bottle. Way better than the little fluids found at craft stores.

While I was there  I picked up a trifold brochure for their white paint samples and realized it would make the perfect little mini journal for my 29 Faces practice. My first 5 are done and working in these little boxes pushed my line control issues over the edge. I couldn’t over think it, just had to sketch and sketch tiny. I found this to be excellent practice for my illustration work and am looking forward to filling up each square with a new face.

Lots of juicy happenings have been landing in my lap these days, looking forward to sharing the details with you as I can. In the mean time, I hope your weekend was filled with beauty, creativity, and a big bowl of awesomesauce!

comments +

1. Artzy Empress says:

I foresee a trip to Lowe's in my future! LOVE the paint samples…and a great price.
    Using the paint sample booklet for your faces is brilliant! How cute they all are, too.
    …Raine

2. Karla B aka Lady Skyclad says:

Lovely work!

3. Faye says:

Wow, you are so clever! Each one of these faces is so full of character. Great job.

4. Cara says:

Using the white sample block thingy is genius!!! I have a sample I got with a free coupon awhile back that I used to paint a stool and I still have a TON of the paint left. I didn't realize they were so cheap! I am TOTALLY going to start getting them for paints instead of tiny craft paints!!!

5. Susan Libertiny says:

Hi Ardith,
    I LOVE the idea of the Lowe's paints. How clever and thanks so much for sharing! Your 29 faces is a great idea.

I love the papers you sent me for our paper exchange. I already have plans for most of those lovely pages. Thanks so much!

Susan Libertiny

6. rose of Walk in the Woods, LLC says:

Paper swap ~ awesome!
    And I not only LoVe your faces, I love that you drew them on the paint samples!

7. Cara says:

I think I commented on this when you posted on The Glitterhood or somewhere, but I LOVE the idea of using those paint samples! I even told my boyfriend about it and he agreed that they were a great idea because then I can paint -things-, not just papers. 😀

8. Effy says:

I keep intending to have paint samples made up for me when I'm in Home Depot, but I forget! This is so inspiring. xo

9. Beansieleigh says:

LOVE how you're using the paint samples brochure to practice in miniature!.. And next time I'm at Lowes, I will definitely check out the paints there. Love the colors! ~tina

10. Ardith Goodwin says:

Ok, I am triple dog daring some of you to share your paint sample sketches…:)